Inside the Mosque is the Tomb of Muhammad Ali – The tomb is located behind an Egyptian style wall. The tomb itself is carved from a blue grey marble called Carrara marble. Muhammad Ali was born in 1769 and died in 1849 at the age of 80 years- His body was transferred here from Hawsh al-Basha in 1857.
Muhammad Ali ruled over Egypt for just short of 43 years and made significant changes to Egypt – economically, with the military and bureaucracy, and also the social structure of Egypt.
For more information on Muhammad Ali Mosque
- 2014-03-23 – Cairo
- Muhammad Ali Mosque – Courtyard
- Muhammad Ali Mosque – Domes
- Muhammad Ali Mosque – Part of the Citadel of Salah al-Din
- Muhammad Ali Mosque – Tomb
- Muhammed Ali Mosque – Correct Clothing Etiquette
- Muhammed Ali Mosque – Minarets at the Mosque
- Muhammed Ali Mosque – the Niche facing Mecca
- Muhammed Ali Mosque – View of Cairo from the Mosque