Travelling from Cairo to Aswan was by train. We had sleepers (or as I think – keep awakers). The bed in the sleeper was hard – difficult to get comfortable and the breakfast – well – words cannot describe.
As we looked out of the window very early morning, we looked out over the platform at the Luxor Railway Station and saw a large number of people lying on the concrete platform in the open air – most with very thin blankets – sleeping.
Luxor is a town that depends greatly on the tourist industry – about 80% of the population depends on it – but with the decline in tourism following the January 2011 revolution, the number of people that are homeless has increased.
Makes you think again about the sleepers !!!
For more information about Luxor
- Deir el-Medina
- Luxor – Hot Air Ballooning
- Luxor looking at the Western Thebes early in the morning
- Luxor Temple at Sunrise
- Luxor Temple – Obelisk
- Luxor Temple – Pylon and Obelisk
- Medinet Habu – GPS Map
- Medinet Habu – Ceiling
- Medinet Habu – Migdol
- Medinet Habu – Pylon
- Medinet Habu – Statue of Sekhmet
- Nile River at Luxor early in the Morning
- Ramesses II – King of Egypt
- Sphinx’s leading from Luxor Temple
- Temple of Hatshepsut
- Temple of Hatshepsut – The Mortuary
- Welcome to Luxor Railway Station