One of the fascinating things about this part of Jordan is the landscape. When looking out from the township towards the area of the Ancient City of Petra, making out a pathway is very difficult unless you knew the way.
The predominant stone in this area is Sandstone and it has been subject to large movements in the Earth. This area is between the Dead Sea and the Aqaba Gulf which is close to the area of the Rift Valley.
It is easy to see why it took a local guide to enable Johann Ludwig Burckhardt, a Swiss explorer, to rediscover the ancient city of Petra.
For more information about Petra
- 2014-03-27 – Eilat – Timna Park – Petra
- 2014-03-28 – Petra – Petra to Amman
- Petra – Siq
- Petra – Sunset
- Petra – Cart hooked up to pole.
- Petra – Landscape
- Petra – One of the New Seven Wonders of the World
- Petra – Roman Influence
- Petra – Taybet Zaman Petra Resort
- Petra – The Treasury
- Petra – Tombs in the Ancient City
- Petra – Transport in and out of Ancient Petra